Sharing the news so YOU can pass this along. Click the link below for full details but here’s the gist:
- The debate happens this Thursday night (7/23/2015) from 8PM to 9PM and will air on Fox 25 (WFXT).
- Boston Olympics Committee Members will be going up against No Boston Olympics, the group that formed the day the idea was proposed in opposition of the Olympics coming to Boston.
- Boston won the U.S. bid to host the 2024 Summer Olympics should it be chosen by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The decision will be made in 2018.
- Earlier today, Boston City Councilor Tito Jackson announced his opposition to Boston hosting the Olympics. He expressed concern regarding who will be on the hook for paying for the Olympics.
…By the way I am OPPOSED to the Olympics coming to Boston.
See No Boston Olympics for the FACTS Boston Olympics orgranizers DON’T want you to know. In addition to that, I’m going to hit you with some more truth:
- Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker (R) and Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) are two almost two dozen prominent voices in Massachusetts who oppose Boston hosting the Olympics and they have said so since March of this year.
- The Koch Brothers–the second richest family in America–promised to fully fund the Olympic games should Boston win the U.S. bid. Right before the USOC voted, Koch conveniently cut its ties with the Boston Olympic Committee.
- Former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (Baker’s predecessor) was brought on board by the Boston Olympic Committee. Patrick himself has not publicly stated his position on the matter. Yet.
- The Olympics costs the host city $10 Million MINIMUM though in most cases, much more. $10 Million Boston can’t afford. Remember: We’re still paying for the Big Dig 20 years later.
- Boston’s Mayor Marty Walsh is trying to get the Olympics to come to Boston no matter what while doing nothing to assure residents and taxpayers they will not be footing the bill.
- The Red Sox and the Patriots paid for all of those championship parades they had in the city, usually in advance by the team’s owner. The Boston Marathon is an international event and is funded privately. In comparison, Massachusetts Taxpayers are expected to write a blank check for the 2024 Olympics. It’s in the manual.
- Taxpayers are intentionally being left out of the conversation.
- The 2004 games in Athens bankrupted Greece.
I know I keep talking about the cost but at the end of the day, the Olympics is VERY (Read: VERY) expensive despite being just 3 weeks long. As I noted above, the general public is being kept in the dark about it. Boston also doesn’t have the infrastructure to host the Olympic games. Cost aside, construction of the necessary venues will permently displace whole communities who will in turn not be compensated. That’s exactly what happened with the 2012 London games.
Here’s the link to Fox 25’s announcement article. Enjoy: